Built sometime between 1880 and 1890, the Halsey Train Depot is one of the oldest depots in Oregon. The City of Halsey grew up around the line of the Oregon and California Railroad.
It survived the 1903 fire that burned through several of the buildings in downtown Halsey. In 1960, it was moved to West 1st Street, where it became a seed storage warehouse.In 1999, Smith Seed Company donated the building to the City of Halsey.
On March 29, 2000, it was moved in halves to its new home at the corner of OR 99E and American Drive. This was actually the second move for the building. The move was done by Rainbow Construction.
A new life for an old building
After fourteen years of writing grants and asking for donations, of collecting bids, and construction, of hours and hours of volunteer work and paid labor, the building was rebuilt into a multi-use space that includes a City Council Chamber, City Hall, a small museum and a Community Center with a kitchen and a small classroom.